Friday, December 29, 2006

How I Spent My Christmas Vacation

Here is our Christmas Tree without a flash and with a flash.












On Thursday, December 21, 2006, my husband, Jim and son, Dan and I drove to Maine to spend Christmas with my family. Thursday night we spent in Portsmouth at the Sheraton. We had dinner at the Portsmouth Brewery and went to the Press Room to listen to music. The next morning we took a walk around town. We went through this gate and into the cemetary. Jim and Dan are standing on an anchor. If you look beyond the pigeon you will see the shipyard.


I worked on another pair of the Lambs Pride green mittens for a friend. The color btw is oregano. I also finished sock #1 of the STR, X-mas Rocks, Cascading Leaves. Somewhere in Portsmouth lay the directions for this sock. I am presently trying to make sock 2 from memory, if not I say the Karma for these socks was bad from the get go. I will again say I do not like the color combination for these socks, not to mention ripping them out 3 times. The only good things are they are 100% wool, warm, and long pants will cover the color.

On Friday, December 22, 2006 we arrived in Maine. We shopped at the Kittery Trading Post for Christmas gifts and went to my mother's house. She had a hot pot of fish chowder waiting for us. After you have my mother's fish chowder you will not be able to eat any other.

Saturday, December 23, 2006 we took a rainy, foggy ride to Portland. There are a couple ships that are docking, can you see the ship on the other side of the big ship? Can you see Portland on the other side of the Lighthouse? We visited the Portland Christmas tree, shopped around the Old Port and tried to go to Seaport Yarn around noon time but they were not open, holiday?

Sunday, Christmas Eve, December 24, 2006. Jim, Dan and I went for a Christmas Eve hike. We drove to Bond Mountain, I think it is in Newfield, and had a wonderful hike to the overlook.


After we hiked on Bond Mt, we took a ride over to Picket Mt. just down and around the corner. We passed by this old mill on the way to Picket Mt. I think it was for lumber.


On Christmas Day we all went to my brothers house to open gifts. There were so many presents it took about 2-3 hours to get them all opened.

On Tuesday I finished the fingerless gloves I have been working on. It is hard to see the pattern on these dark, chocolate brown, "Ultra Alpaca" gloves. I used the "Ribble" pattern from Socks Socks Socks. I bought more of the "Ultra Alpaca" in York, Maine and I am going to make a hat and scarf to match, probably not until next year though.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful holiday. You visited some great sites, but there doesn't seem to be much snow there either!
Wishing you all the best in the new year!

12/31/06, 8:53 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

The sock looks good, but I have to say that the colorway wasn't exactly what I was expecting when I made mine. Did you find that to be the case for you also?

1/2/07, 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home