Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Ruby Slippers, Grandpa's Gloves, Fingerless Gloves & August FO's

















I absolutely love the way these socks turned out. The purple swirls look like storm clouds and the "Ribble" cable pattern looks like the tornados that came and set Dorothy's house down on the witch. I did not use the entire skein of "Ruby Slippers", there is quite a bit left. As you can see Grandpa's gloves are not progressing. They are on a vacation while I knit other things. Some times I need a break from size 1 needles and fingering yarn.

Last week I also tried making fingerless gloves. I have wanted a pair for awhile, just could not find the right pattern. Since I love the "Ribble" pattern so much I decided to make the fingerless gloves with this pattern. I had some "Ultra Alpaca" in chocolate brown left over from my son's Leon hat and I am well on my way to having a pair of fingerless gloves. I wanted each finger to have its own space, like a true glove. I want to wear these gloves to knit when my hands are too cold, but I still need my fingers to work with the knitting needles. They seem a little thick but they are extremely warm. Now I just need to make the other glove so the left hand stays warm, too.


My feet were also telling me they were getting a bit cold so I knit up a pair of "Fuzzy Feet". Now, I have had only one experience with felting and it was not pleasant, the finished product was far from what it should have been. These "Fuzzy Feet" are perfect. I got the pattern from "Knitty". I used the Lamb's Pride worsted wool and sixe 10.5 needles. I had the purple yarn left over from my sisiter-in-law's purple cable socks and the blue was left over from the failed felting project. The only thing I would change from the pattern is DO NOT WASH WITH TOWELS. I have been shaving off the towel lint sisce they came out of the washer. Jeans would probably be better to felt with than towels.

August finished projects include these socks made from "Mission Falls" 1824 wool. These are very thick boot socks. Green pair is for my husband and the mustard pair is for me.

These socks were knit with "Lana Grossa" Inca yarn. I received this yarn in July from my One Skein Secret Pal, Leslie. The yarn knit up beautifully and I have enough left over for some peds.


Next up are socks that I knit for my sister-in-law Beth, her husband John, and their children Claire (3) and Jack (9 months). Beth and John's socks are knit from the Ladder of Life sock pattern. Beth's are the brown socks and they were knit in Galway in a brown heather, John's are the grey socks and they were knit with Patons, dark grey mix. Claire watermelon socks were knit with Fresh Isle Fibers, suffolk wool, in self-striping watermelon. Clare gets mittens to match. Both from patterns I made up as I went along. Jack's socks are made from Sockotta and the pattern was made up as I went along.

Linda Adam, an old college buddy of my husband and I stopped by for a visit on her way to Maine. She was going up to spent the summer at Acadia National Park. The couple she works for has a summer house there. On Linda's way to Maine, from Virginia, she stopped off for an over night visit. Upon her arrival to Maine she purchased yarn for me and Blueberry jam for my husband. The yarn was Plymouth Bamboo in the most beautiful colors of green and blue. Much like the sea water of Acadia must have been, and a pattern for me to make a hat.

I made this pair of the red "Toe Jazz" socks of Silk and Alpaca, Blue Sky Alpaca, for my One Skein Sectret Pal in August. This was the last leg of the OSSP swap. I sent her a skein in June, a skein in July, and a knitted gift in August. Dianna, lives in Texas and I am not sure if she will get much use of these but she may have to take a trip north in colder weather just to see how warm they can be. I wore mine on Saturday, 35 degrees, with my flip flops and my feet were the warmest part of me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kathy,
We love our socks and have been wearing them almost everynight. Now, Claire gets to decide which mittens she can wear, the watermelon or the blue ones you sent along! Thanks. She likes them both.
Beth

2/11/07, 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home