Friday, January 11, 2008

The 2007 UFO is Now a 2008 FINISHED OBJECT
This beautiful sweater was a difficult knit. The yarn (Peace
Fleece - Siberian Midnight) is dark blue/black with flecks of grey and white. I tortured myself by knitting this on size 8 Brittany Black Walnut needles. I started the knitting on March 19, 2007, I finished today. There are many modifications to the pattern. This is a pattern of the late '80's early 90's; to be worn with leggings I think. I shortened the length, and knit a couple of sizes smaller. Sewing the seams was very difficult. Not only are the colors dark, the little specks............................. insert swear word here. I think I pulled most of them out while seaming. I do not have buttons yet. I bought the pattern over 15 years ago who knows when I will buy buttons, lol. That being said. I love the sweater. The yarn is soft and warm. It fits perfectly. The pockets will come in handy. I had purchased 12 skeins of yarn. I have 4 and 1/2 left.I have been invited to a "Meet the Artist" show. The show is in February with a Valentines Day theme. I am going to present a "Study in Reds".

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful sweater! Congrats on finishing it...

1/11/08, 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater is beautiful!

1/13/08, 4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous. A work of art.

1/15/08, 8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your cardigan is beautiful - I love the cabled pockets! Good job getting that wondrful WIP done!
Look at all those pretty reds!

1/17/08, 11:12 AM  
Blogger Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...

I can't come car shopping, but I can give you my hints for used cars!

1.) Don't be afraid to walk. There is ALWAYS another car, ALWAYS.
2.) Know your values and model types. Keep a notebook of vehicles you are interested in, models, model years, and NANDA wholesale values.
3.) Remember that they go to school to learn how to manipulate us into a sale, but we're unskilled and untrained. They use that to their advantage.
4.) Be aware that if you're after a demand vehicle, you won't get the deal I did. I specifically chose a low mileage, low demand vehicle. I could never have gotten that kind of deal on, say, a Corolla or a Civic.

I used the NANDA wholesale value of the car as my guide. I figure it this way - a dealer takes a car in on trade. They give the former owner $800, say, off of the price of their new vehicle. Then they do a little spiff up and inspection, which costs them at most $200, assuming they have to repair something. In this case, if they sell this car to me for $3000, they still make $2,000 +/-. I knew the NANDA value of the car was $3700 in excellent condition. But this car has a couple of rust spots, and some key scratches, and the front bumper is cracked. So I knocked off $700 for repair and set the number $3000 in my mind. When they started at $5990, and came back with $4995 as their "best offer" I said "Well, then I can go, 'cause my number is $3000". They kept me there. After some back and forth over a few hours (they so enjoy the game - the next time they came back it was $4795 and I said "I don't want to waste your time, or mine..." but they would not let me leave, so I knew I was onto something) we ended at $3300. I let my daughter decide at that point if she wanted to pay the $300 over mommy's number. She said she did, and the deal was made. For almost HALF of the price they had on the car when we showed up!!

1/18/08, 3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sweater! I tried to email you back from your comment but it bounced. :(

Did you like the Peace Fleece? I've never seen it in the flesh as none of our LYS's carry it.

1/19/08, 11:17 AM  
Blogger hakucho said...

Your Peace Fleece sweater is gorgeous!! Good for you finishing this difficult sweater. I love it!

1/21/08, 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home